Monday, March 19, 2012

Salad in the making

Planting Reminders:

Planted my first two rows of spinach seed in one of the beds today!  I will plant more this weekend, weather permitting, and funds permitting, I'll start setting up a new planting bed for the onions and carrots.  Rather than have all the spinach be ready for harvest at once, I'll be planting rows over time.  This is called succession planting! Spinach actually likes the cold and tends to go to seed (bolt) in the heat of summer.  If that happens, it will turn bitter so it's best grown as a spring and fall crop.

Mmmm, spinach! This is what the little seeds will hopefully look like in a couple of months!

Also this week, I'll be taking the wild strawberries that were  stratifying in the fridge for the last month and sowing them in recycled flats (A.K.A egg carton saved from the trash)!

That's all for today, happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment