Thursday, March 8, 2012

Is That Spring in the Air?

Gardening 101:  Nature's Natural Helpers

Spring temps are here this weekend! I was doing some general maintenance and clean up all around the garden and house yesterday, when I spotted a parasitic wasp sunning herself on the lid of my trash can! Wish I had my camera because it's the first time I've actually seen one of these lovelies out side of more than books and internet websites. I sat and watched her for the whole few minutes she sat there sunned. She was obviously enjoying the warm weather as much as I was.  I hope to try some companion planting this year to attract more of them! 


Parasitic wasps are wonderful beneficials in your garden.  As the name implies, they use the peskier insects in the garden, such as tomato horn worms or aphids to complete their life cycle.  Females lay their eggs on- or in- other bugs or their eggs and the young hatch, feed on and often pupate in the host bug.  Adults emerge, mate and go off to find even more pests to pester!  There are usually multiple generations laid and hatched in just one season, and just a few of these lovelies can do more to rid your garden of offending fiends that any amount of bug spray.  So instead of breaking out the chemicals at the first sign of spring insect activity, try planting some flowering perennials to attract some of Mother Nature's helpers and provide habitat in which they can over winter to get a early start for the next year, and before you reach to swat that bug, stop and take a closer look- it might be friendly!


No comments:

Post a Comment