Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Digging Our Fist Day!

Founding Father and Avid Gardener.
Thomas Jefferson once said, "Though an old man I am but a young gardener.

Actually, he had a lot to say about the subject of gardening, but we'll get to that later.  

It is on this subject that I too want to gain, and hopefully contribute, my own wisdom.  Ever since becoming a mother, I've been hyper-aware of my surroundings.  What is it that I'm giving my child?  How am I nurturing her, both physically and mentally for the future?  This was the train of thought that led me to desire- crave really- to cultivate my own little garden;  I wanted a place where I could grow food for my family and know exactly what has gone into it and a place where I can pass down traditions and secrets both old and new to the generation I've brought into this world.

I'm only a beginner, and though an adult, I'm a very young gardener, and pruning and feeding a few already well established rose bushes is a far cry from the toil and sweat that goes into growing a flower and vegetable garden from scratch.  So, I've decided to record my trials, tribulations and triumphs here for amusement as well as education (both yours and mine)!  I will give compiled growing information for all on the fruits, veggies and flowers I attempt this year, spot light some of my favorite varieties and give general tips for organic gardening as I pick them up.

Even if it's a complete failure, as long as we're all having a good time I'll consider it a roaring success!

No comments:

Post a Comment